ODBC DataSet From Workbench - Remote Job Trigger

Not sure if there is a good way to do this, given the fact that the workbench is usually behind a firewall. It could be nice to be able to select a bunch of DataSets in the Domo web interface and flag them to request a refresh via the attached Domo workbench job. I imagine this would have to be achieved via a polling request initiated by the Workbench to check for jobs whose target DataSets have a refresh request.

My use case is that occasionally one of my data backups fails due to other circumstances and this results in the failure of dozens of daily Workbench jobs that rely on the backup. I fix the backup issue and now have to manually run those dozens of backup jobs individually if I want to update the data for today.

Some additional features needed to support this:

• Batch Select DataSets to perform bulk action (really nice to have)
  • Single/Bulk action to refresh DataSets (exists for many connectors as a single action but you need to click in to the detail view. Not available for DataSets sourced from a Workbench job currently)
  • Sort by status so that failing DataSets show up first (pretty nice to have and I think it's requested elsewhere on this forum).

Alternatively, I could imagine that some kind of bulk retry operation could be part of the Workbench interface. This lacks the appeal of normalizing Web DataSet capabilities, but it might be a good idea in its own right.

Thanks

3 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• Thank you for submitting this idea. I am assigning this to our product manager @alexpeay for review

• @cr1ckt I'm not sure I am understanding your request. Let me play it back to you:

You have a data backup (I assume behind your firewall). When it fails you have many WB jobs fail since the source has not updated. 

This is where I am missing some things, are the Jobs in Domo somehow based on the WB Jobs?  Or are you looking for a trigger that kicks off the WB job?

Also what version of WB are you using?

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • I'm using the newest version of workbench 4.

Specifically I'm asking for the ability to flag a Domo DataSet in the web interface to request another job run. I would expect that the workbench would poll for target DataSets with this flag periodically and execute the jobs supplying those targets.

I don't know how feasible the workbench -> web flow is for this design, but I had started with the possibility of being able to generically do a multiselect and flag action for a bunch of datasets in web interface because I could imagine a similar scaling problem if other connectors have a common point of failure that is resolved externally. (For instance, if my google analytics account expires or the password changes and I have dozens of datasets that failed due to this, it would be nice to be able to select them all and trigger a run.)

• @cr1ckt would it be too much of a simplification to say that a bulk action set of features on the DataCenter would provide the functionality you need.

For example select all Google Analytics DataSets and Run now or Select all the Faceback accounts and schedule them to run at a different time.

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • No, I think that's a great idea.

Assuming that the bulk select and "Run now" is supported by DataSets that are maintained via a Workbench upload, the feature you described is exactly what I'm asking for.

This discussion has been closed.