Expand VALUES in UI for visibility of Column Names

tab.PNG

User should have a the control to expand or contract the side tab in UI so that lengthy column names are visible.

Also, a search for Values can be added in case when the columns are too many.

31 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• A lot of the field selectors in the Domo application have a fixed width, which can make it difficult to see the actual column name when there is a DataSet name prefix. This becomes a frequent issue when using DataFusions as the source for a card, since they automatically prefix column names with the original DataSet source. I have to rely on a combination of the field filter and tooltips to track down the exact column I want.

It would be nice if there was the ability to toggle an abbreviation of the DataSet name so that more screen real estate is given over to the actual column name. Or maybe it would even be possible to extend the color coding used when creating and previewing Datafusions to provide visual indicator of original DataSet when selecting fields from a DataFusion.

• It looks like sumo tables and the drill down tabular view also suffer from this issue (I only see the DataSet name and an ellipsis for every column name in my table view). It would be nice if there was a way to see the column names at the end here.

• Thanks for submitting this idea and the follow-up comment.  Assigning to @ckwright for review.

• Thank you for posting.  This drive me crazy as I have to hover over any field name that's long in length to confirm that it's the correct field. 

•  

Same problem for me as well !

Imagine having 50 columns and you have to hover over all of them to find the one you want to use Cat Frustrated

• Thank you for submitting this idea.  I am assigning to our product manager @ckwright for review.

• I've had this idea too, so I'm glad it was posted, BUT not only would I like to be able to control the size of the section with column names, I would also like to be able to control the size of the filter/chart property section.  Both sections should also be able to collapse fully and return to the adjusted width after a click (I would say mouse over as well, but that doesn't work well in mobile devices, but implement as you will).  This would provide the maximum flexibility in work space and readability.

• ckwright
    ckwright

domo

💎

@gaurav007 Thank you for this feedback. I am looking into this feature with my team. I agree that can be frustrating to have to hover over the pills to see the full name.  

• ckwright
    ckwright

domo

💎

Thanks for this feedback, there is another idea here in Dojo asking to allow users to expand the columns for categories and values to enable users to see the full name of long pill names. This is on our road map. 

• Yes, having a handle so we could drag this to the size we need would be very helpful. Thanks for submitting this.

• When field names are too long, Domo cuts them so it is impossible to see the full name.

It would be great if the column width would adjust automatically to show the full field name.

Below some screenshots of places where I experienced this problem when trying to connect to Facebook Ads, which comes with a lot of fields starting by the same characters.

As you can see, this is are key screens because I cannot tell to which field I am connecting to and, since I do not see them, I could not transform them using the ETL either.

narrow columns 1.PNG

narrow columns 2.PNG

• Totally agree with all your comments. At least the half of our 30 editor users of my organization came out with the same frustration as well.

Thanks!

• DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

@ManseauN please be sure to vote for the idea by clicking on the white arrow next to the title of the idea. You can let your colleagues know to do the same to add weight to the idea.

Thank you for the comment!

regards,

Dani

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
  • Thank you for submitting this idea @albertodac.  I am assigning to our product manager @alexpeay for review.

• ckwright
    ckwright

domo

💎

@gaurav007 @ManseauN Update: This feature to resize columns to be able to see long column names will be available in this months product release! Be on the look out. Thanks! 

• ckwright
    ckwright

domo

💎

This feature is now available for all Domo customers. 

• Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • Existing feature allows to hard-code a column's width in terms of number of characters. An Excel-like ability to drag and expand the columns, is what is expected. It makes the job of the developer easy and makes it easy to show data.

This discussion has been closed.