Columns documentation in data set

Today, we only can create a general documentation in the data set, but sometimes, we need to be very especific for the cards designer the meaning of each column. So, it is important to have a place to add this documentation for each column in the dataset.

5 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• Thank you for submitting this idea. I am assigning to our product manager @alexpeay for review.

• JPinto,

Can you provide some examples of the specific column documentation that you are looking to add? Would this be auto-generated documenation or are you looking to have a free text field for each column where you can input items?

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • One thing is the description of the dataset. One data set could have a lot of columns. So, we requiere a space to add a description for each column. The name of the column not always tell us what contain or how to use it.

• Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • @JPINTO is the issue with the DataSet description that there is not enough room, you don't want all these details shown on hover or in the title box, formatting? I'm tryingto understand if you are needing additions to the existing description or if you are looking for a new description section that may contain more techical detail that only needs to be accessed when you come to the DataSet details page.

For example if you want card designers to access this information, I am assuming you would want to be able to surface this information in Card Builder and not have it limited to the DataSet Details page, is that a fair assumption? If so, what other users in your system might find this additional detail useful?

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • Any user who use or create the card. Example.

column                         description

flag_activecustomer   Customer who realized a uprchase or ask for more information.

flag_returncustomer  Customer who purchase again after 15 months without purchase.

Help to understand the data, and give context to the value.

• Would it also be helpful to have some meta data that we have derived? Things like type (Sting, long, date) and potentially some other facts like if it is a number range or min/max? There are some things we can add in but I don't want it to be an overload scenario.

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • Well, I'm thinking in something really simple. An open field text to add the description of the column. But some extra meta data would be welcome.

• @JPINTO This is very helpful insights. We are looking at doing work on that area of the product in the fall (I know not the time frame you were looking for) but this would be something that would add some great value. I'll track it through that effort.

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  •  Hi, has there been any additions where this can be done? I'm having a similar issue of simply wanting my datasets to be well defined. 

This discussion has been closed.