Alerts on Strings/Tables

Currently alerts can only be triggered on numeric values. It would be benefincial to have alerts that are triggered on other data types as well. 

For example, we have a "status" column, this column is a string and has the following values: "Pass", "Fail", "Complete". We are currently building a KPI table card to display this data (where one of the columns being displayed is status, and another is product_id). 

We want to be able to trigger an alert when the status becomes "FAIL" for a particular product_id. 

It would be great if we can trigger alerts when a string value equals (or 'not equal to') a particular expected value.

Additionally, it would be beneficial to have alerts avaliable on tables, where we can have some sort of mapping on the table (maybe with a primary key defined). So in the example above, we could have a different alert for each "product_id", based on any change for the value of "status". 

Thanks in advance! 

16 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• I'm not horribly familiar with the alerts but if it can go with numerical values, what about a simple beast mode CASE statement that translates "Pass" / "Fail" etc into some kind of value like 1 / 2 / 3 and then you can set you alert based on those values?

• Thank you for your quick response!

We are currently experimenting with using beast mode and assigning numeric values to the string values. Although in our use case we are sharing this card with multiple users and it can become confusing seeing a number as 1, 2, 3 - rather than a string representation of the status. 

Furthermore, we are really hoping to build a table card so the user can get more information on why the status is what it is. 

That being said - thank you for your suggestion, for the time being we will continue to explore this option! But would love to see some sort of functionality of setting alerts based on string value changes, as well as creating alerts on table view cards. 

• I agree about the strings! I haven't really gotten into alerts but one of the ones we use will be completely string based. You have my upvote.

But for now maybe a Beast mode case statement where Pass is changed to Pass (1). Then they get used to seeing Pass (1) so when they see an alert saying "Status changed to '2'" maybe they are used to seeing Fail (2) and make that association? It is definately a hack but maybe it will get you started.

• mdelorey
    mdelorey

domo

💎

@nonieg: some really great thoughts from @SeanPT here on how to work with the current alerting functionality. just fyi, i'm the product manager for alerts here at domo.

your request falls right in line with some new features we are currently scoping, essentially table alerts that can watch for changes at the row level and then allow you to customize the message that gets sent for each row. does that sound like it would cover your needs here?

would either of you be interested in getting on the list to beta this feature?

Retired Domo Alum
  • mdelorey
    mdelorey

domo

💎

Retired Domo Alum
  • @mdeloreyI wouild totally be in on that beta. When I saw the tease at Domopalooza my first thought was back to this thread.

• @mdelorey @Shevy I can see use for table/string-based alerting here as well.  If you are looking for participants to beta the functionality when ready, please consider us as well.

**Say thank you by clicking the 'thumbs up'
    **Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"
  • @mdelorey I would be interested as well! Thanks so much for reaching out! 

• mdelorey
    mdelorey

domo

💎

@ckatzman: i've got you and @Shevy down on the list.

@SeanPT @nonieg: can you please private message me your contact info and customer information (i.e. what company you work for) so I can put you guys on the list?

Retired Domo Alum
  • DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

Please see this thread on this topic which is related to the idea + a bit more thanks to @dbaydina

Thanks!

Dani

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
  • mdelorey
    mdelorey

domo

💎

Update on this, I think I may have identified a way to do this using a dataflow I describe in this post: https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Card-Building/Alert-when-new-item-appears/m-p/12702

Is anyone interested in trying out that dataflow strategy to see if we can get some of your table-based alerts up and running? If so, just like this post, and I'll private message you the details.

Retired Domo Alum
  • Any update on this? We would also love to get alerts based on some table criteria and not graphs, as well as strings and not just numerical data.

This discussion has been closed.