Improve United States Map Card functionality

I just learned that the United States (50-state view) map card can also be used with FIPS and Zips to give ever more granular "zoomed" views.  Previously, I had thought to drill-down, you had to switch to the US Counties view, and was very displeased with the 50-state gray-view of all states except the one you were filtered on.

But I've also learned that DOMO is very particular in this zoomed United States map view, requiring that the data-source field names be EXACTLY 'States', 'FIPS', and 'ZipCode' (including the upper/lower case naming).  You cannot assign alias in the Label, you cannot create the renamed field using Beast Mode.  Instead, if you already have a data source, you could create a duplicate DataFlow and rename there so that it appears in the card-builder as a data-source static field, non-manipulated.  

This just seems a little bit restrictive, and overly nuanced functionality.  I have 3 different geo markers in my dataset, and if the naming requirements are fixed, then that means I would need to maintain a separate dataset for each item i'd like to map, just so that each can have one distinct set of 'State', 'FIPS', and 'ZipCode' fields.  

Thanks for considering enhancements to this card type.

**Say thank you by clicking the 'thumbs up'
**Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"
Tagged:
10 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• As long as I'm on this subject, another enhancement to the map card would be the ability to switch filtered geographies while drilled to a lower-level.  For example, i go into the United States map card, click on California... now I want to look at Florida, would be great if the blue "filter" was dynamic so I could just change that without having to go back to the main map.

**Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"
  • Cross reference submission from @msuplCustom Location Naming - the ability to customize map-label values to represent something other than geographic locations (eg, remote sales people).

• Thank you for submitting this idea @ckatzman.  Assigning to our product manager @Gavatar for review.

• @Gavatar When you get to looking at this, how about also the ability to create "Regions"?  Just like you can bring in State, or FIPS, or ZipCode value into the "State" field in the card builder, what about being able to create a larger-than-state Geo (like a multi-state sales territory)?  

This would also tie into another Idea Exchange entry, Geography Mapping at MSA Level which you previously acknowledged as Under Review.

It's probably apparent, but I dig maps!

• Gavatar
    Gavatar

domo

💎

• Gavatar
    Gavatar

domo

💎

Yes 100% agree. It is way to "hard-coded" currently. 

On the custom regions we have "some" functionality on the lat-long map that lets you create a "custom region" with colored circles.

regions.JPG

It is a much bigger ask to create custom regions if you want a "thick line" or other mark that outlines the custom region. What is it that you are trying to create?

• What if it was configured in a "paired-fields" approach... Today, we apply State (or FIPS, or ZipCode), and a value field.  What if there was a third field that was married to the State/FIPS/ZipCode that defined some other geographic outline?  So the existing functionality could "tie" the value to a standard geo marker, but then the user could control geo alignment through their own data, or even a BeastMode or Dataflow potentially?  

So if I had state-based sales territories for example, then wherever State said California, Arizona, New Mexico I would builde a Case statement to generate a user-created field for 'Region' that said 'Southwest'.  

• Gavatar
    Gavatar

domo

💎

Having a third field that contains "region" would not be hard to get into the data as you suggest. The question is how do you show the "region" if color indicates the value. The difficult thing to render is an outline. For example if you have a region that includes California and Nevada then the "outline" would draw around the perimeter of the 2 states but NOT outline the shared border. 

This is what is difficult because of all the combinations of states that might exist. Does that make sense? We could easily support a few fixed combinations like this:

us_states_map_regions_sm.jpg

• That's a polygon drawing problem that is beyond my technical expertise to opine upon.  Smiley Embarassed  Off the top of my head, I can't see fixed combinations having sufficiently broad usage as every customer's definition "region" (whatever the usage) is undoubtedly different.

• I'm also looking for ways to map regions via polygon's in DOMO, did this discussion develop further?

• DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

@Gavatar any additional thoughts here?

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
This discussion has been closed.