data dictionary

Hello,

Our usage of Domo continues to grow everyday.  We have a lot of datasets and are starting to realize that we have to become more rigourous on our data management and provenance.  What do others do about creating or maintaining a Data Dictionary?  How does one maintain the knowledge of what can be joined together and what cannot/should not?  

Thoughts?  Are there any tools for this?  

Matthew O Coblentz
9 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• We have numerous users that do not know what type of data is available in our instance of DOMO and we constantly get requests for the same data. It would be helpful to have some kind of data catalog where the user could request access to additional datasets that have not yet been shared with them and then have the owners of that data approve their request.

• Did anyone ever get back to you on this?  That is something I am looking for too.

• Thank you for submitting this idea @natenitro.  I am assigning to our product manager @alexpeay for review.

• @natenitro this is a great idea. Thanks for taking the time to submit it.

If you could answer questions for me it would be great.

1.) What information would help your customers find and identify the DataSets they need? I would assume column names, data types, maybe some contexutal data like frequency or distribution, what else might help?

2.) What type of meta data would you want to provide to users that are searching? We provide DataSet description and name but do we need additonal meta data for individual columns?

Any other details would help us as we evaluate this submission.

Regards,

Alex

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • 1.) What information would help your customers find and identify the DataSets they need? I would assume column names, data types, maybe some contexutal data like frequency or distribution, what else might help?

Source System (and perhaps module) i.e. SAP - Revenue or SFDC - Oppty

Data Subject

Data Description

Columns, Data Types

Frequency of update

Data Owner

Cards associated with dataset

2.) What type of meta data would you want to provide to users that are searching? We provide DataSet description and name but do we need additonal meta data for individual columns?

Source(s)

Workflow(s)

Source system

Dataset Name

• I just submitted the same idea - https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Data-Sources/data-dictionary/m-p/16359#M926 - and I think that much of the answer to questsion 1 lies in the business question and objective.  For example, we have quote data and install base data.  We have SFDC data and license keys.  I think most users would have little trouble in creating a dataflow to join datasets (it's pretty intuitive) if they knew that the data existed, what are the relationships between the data, and how they could mine it.  

So the source of the data, the frequency of update, the data fields and types, and their counterparts in the other datasets so people could join them (or condition them via Magic ETL to join them), and any security issues in them; all these would be useful.  

A librarian would include metadata descriptions that explain what the dataset is good for and what it is not good for.  I would include things like that.  

Matthew O Coblentz
  • @mcoblentz,

I discussed this today with some of the team during our Domo Dojo Day event and will have some great news to share with you on this for our meet up next week. 

Net net is we have a solution to address this in Beta and we will make it happen in your environment shortly.

Thanks!
    Dani

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
  • DaniBoy,

We are looking at solving the exact same problem in our organization. Can you tell us anything more about this exciting new feature or when it might be made generally available OR how we can also get on the beta?

• I am also interested in this.  We are in need of something as well.

--Shawn
  • Hey Master of the DOMOVERSE!

I've got more datasets than you can shake a stick at. My execs want to know what's in each, what the meaning behind the fields, where they come from, and what other datasets they relate to.

They want a DataDictionary!

The last thing I want to do is take them out of DOMO and force them to log into some shady sharepoint site.

What do you guys and gals suggest?

Here's my favorite DD ever. It's from Netsuite: 

http://www.netsuite.com/help/helpcenter/en_US/srbrowser/Browser2016_2/odbc/record/transaction.html?mode=domain&domain=general_accounting

• DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

@Sambo_Servicer

Thank you for the great example. I am combining this with an existing thread as this is a hot topic now. We are reviewing this internally and greatly appreciate the Netsuite example as your best case.

Would you and @mcoblentz be open to a call next week sometime that I can arrange to ensure we capture your requirements. There are a number of things in the pipeline now that touch this space and we want to make sure we set expectations accordingly for what you need.

Thanks!

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
  • Im on vacation through the 9th. I'm open after the 10th. Great idea as I have a lot of ideas as well.
    Matthew O Coblentz
  • DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

@mcoblentz Happy Vacationing!

I will set something from the 10th onward and will PM you and @Sambo_Servicer for possible times.

Checking the product teams schedule today for next week.

Cheers!

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
  • AS
    AS 🔵

For what it's worth, I'll share what we've done to assist in improving understanding among our users.

I have a Best Practices page for my MasterDomos and advanced users.  Among other things on the page, I've included a webform card with a few dozen of the most common dimensions and measures.  On that list I include the name of the column, the definition, example values, and also any synonymous columns (our various teams use different terms for the same thing, so different datasets use different column names sometimes).

data dictionary.JPG

I could improve this by including the original source (for us, mostly Oracle) as an additional column, or include any common beast modes and their logic.

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
  • DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

Greetings

The point person in Domo for the Data Dictionary effort is out on vacation the day Matt returns. He will be back on  the 17th.

Let me know if you can meet for a call on May 18 at 2pm Mountain, 1pm Pacific.

For those interested I will PM you the call in details.

Thanks!

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
  • DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

If you are interested in joining our call tomorrow we will meet at 1 Mountain Noon Pacific.

PM me and I can send you details for the call.

@AS

Thanks!

Dani

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
  • An example of the data flows I'm creating to follow my own creation.

Matthew O Coblentz
  • DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

Please see this related idea from @mcoblentz.

Thanks!

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
  • DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

CC @JonSharp

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
  • Any update on this piece from May 17?

• DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

@AlexRomanoColts,

We had a good call yesterday with a number of customers on this thread.

There are elements of what may be part of the Data Dictionary ecosystem that may be released soon as early as next month.

If you are interested in joining the Beta program for this effort please send me a PM or simply reply here that you are interested and we will sign you up.

This is an important effort which will evolve over time.

CC @JonSharp

Thanks!

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
  • @DaniBoy Traveloka would love to have early/beta access to this data dictionary. We're in dire needs of this as well.

• DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

@JonSharp

Please make sure @ainunnajib is added to beta.

regards,

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
  • I must admit (complain?) that I have heard nothing further on this beta.  What is the status?  

Matthew O Coblentz
  • DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

Good news!

@chucki is managing this particular Beta. I am providing him the email addresses for all customers who have chimed in on this thread. 

Per an update from @JonSharp:

"We're moving forward as planned. I believe I will be presenting to the Beta group shortly to show them what's coming. And it may be going to their beta environments in the coming days

This is for improvements to the DataCenter while Data Lineage is still pending."

Thanks!

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin

• "And it may be going to their beta environments in the coming days

I should add that it might be as long as several weeks, though. Thanks for your patience! We're working as fast as we can to get this feature into your hands!

• This is great feedback, and something we're definitely looking in to. Thank you and keep it coming. 

• any update on this?

• Hi,

Can we participate on this Beta also?

Ricardo Granada 

[email protected]

**If the post solves your problem, mark it by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can say "Thank you" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
  • I would also be interested in participating in this beta

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    “There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________
This discussion has been closed.