Enhance configurability of drill throughs (particularly on table aggregate fields)

Hey,

The behavior of drill throughs on table fields which are aggregated doesn't look right to me.  If I click on a field in a table which is an aggregate, then I'd expect the drill through to go to all values which make up that aggregate.  Instead, it drills through to filter by the value of that aggregate.  

To accomplish what I'm describing below, it probably means you need to be able to flag a column as being persisted on any drill-throughs (so that current row value of that field is persisted in the filter of any drill through).  In this example, I'd have "Month" be flagged as a sticky filter field.

For example, say I have a data set of the following form:

Date     |    Month  |     Retail   |  Cost

1/1/16        1/1/16        3             NULL

1/2/16        1/1/16        NULL      2

1/3/16        1/1/16        15           12

Then, say I have a table where I want to present data grouped by calendar month.  In this instance, I'd have:

Month  |      Sum of Retail   |   Sum of Cost

1/1/16         18                        14

My expectation is that:

1. If I click on 1/1/16, then I drill through with a filter of "Month = 1/1/16" (returning 3 rows of non-aggregated detail)
  2. If I click on 20, then I drill through with a filter of "Month = 1/1/16 AND Retail is not null" (returning 2 rows of non-aggregated detail)
  3. If I click on 18, then I drill through with a filter of "Month = 1/1/16 AND Cost is not null" (returning 2 rows of non-aggregated detail)

Current behavior is instead:

• If I click on 1/1/16, then I drill through with a filter of "Month = 1/1/16" (Good)
  • If I click on 20, then I drill through with a filter of "Sum of Retail = 18" (Bad - no non-aggregated row will match this criteria)
  • If I click on 18, then I drill through with a filter of "Sum of Cost = 14" (Bad - no non-aggregated row will match this criteria)

Maybe this is an edge case, but I'd love to see flexibility around how drill-throughs can be configured.

Tagged:
1 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

This discussion has been closed.