Venn Diagram Card Type

A nice-to-have would be a Venn Diagram card-type, enabling visualization of some overlap between two otherwise distinct populations. Example: Sales Organization with National and Regional account coverage types. However, there are situations where Regional account managers have to call on local affiliates of a National-classified account. Wind up with a National, Regional, and Hybrid (the overlap) subsets. By developing a data-set that has Natl, Regl, Hybrid as a distinct attribute, should be able to visualize the overlap between the two larger sets, and derive the percentage overlap.

**Say thank you by clicking the 'thumbs up'
**Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"
33 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• Thank you for your suggestion.  This has been submitted to our engineering team through ticket # DOMO-37798

• @Gavatar can you please take a look at this?

• Good idea. We will look at adding...

• Similiar need for many users at my company.I have several requests to look at the correlation of product purchases (cross selling) with customers. It would be great if a visualization option existed where the data could be easily portrayed. Right now I’m resorting to Powerpoint or Excel to build the visual based on data from Domo.

• Without a doubt, the need for Venn diagrams to represent overlap is a highly desired addition to the library.  Is there a roadmap or expectation for DOMO to expand the visualization suite?

• Gavatar
    Gavatar

domo

💎

We will be expanding the visual "suite" later this year. 

• Great.  Will it include a Venn?

• Gavatar
    Gavatar

domo

💎

Venn diagram is not on the top of the list but on the list.  As we look at this chart type do you have examples of what your data is that you would like to show in a Venn chart?

• @Gavatar My company would use this chart type to look at product purchase patterns and cross selling. For example, look at the % of customers that order  product A, B & C or just A & C . . .etc.  

• Adding to this request. From a CRM perspective I'm interested in visualizing the overlap of buyer counts. I.e. some buyers only buy from apparel, some only from shoes and some have purchased from both. In the meantime, has anyone found an alternate way to visualize this in Domo?

• I was just about to post a request for Venn diagrams and saw this existing post. Yes, Venn diagrams would be helpful in some situations, like those listed above. We would like to use them for showing similarities between rosters, assemblies, and other collection-type data. We can generate Jaccard Coefficient scores, etc., but really the same as a straightforward Venn diagram.

A few notes of acknowledgment:

* Yes, Venn diagrams are surprisingly hard to calculate correctly relative to most chart types with so little date.
    * Yes, Venn diagrams are comically terrible with more than a few intersections. But for 2-3 or even 4, they're fantastic.
    * Yes, by "Venn" I mean "Eular, including Venn". But, like everyone else, I use "Venn" for both.

Some nice features to have:
    * Control over color and opacity (but please start with your usual good taste in colors! I pretty well always use Domo defaults.)
    * Control over shape - there's no rule that Venns have to be drawn as circles, rectangles can be superior in some cases.

Thank you

• Thanks for the additional detail. Do you have sample data formats for what you want to chart? We are looking at options for this chart type. 

• Thanks for asking. For venn/euler diagrams, you need

-- Size of each set in a common unit

-- Size of each set-pair interesection in the same unit

Being able to control color is nice, that's just an array parallel to the unique list of sets.

As far as the counts and the intersections go, Domo seems to usually prefer pair-wise data in a few columns. But at the heart of it, a collection of simple set intersections is well expressed as a pivot:

AustraliaCanadaAlgeria
    Australia78313769
    Canada137827243
    Algeria69243

...but that only works for set:set comparisons, not multiple overlaps. I guess that you need a collection of identifiers that can handle n sets, to define the intersections. Here's what I mean:

Australia783
    Canada827
    Algeria489
    Australia,Algeria69
    Australia,Canada137
    Australia,Algeria,Canada13
    Algeria,Canada243

That looks like enough data to sort out all three circles in my three-country data set.

Yes, I just went to an on-line Venn generator that I like I like and here's a screenshot:venn_sample.png

I found the site I used for the mock-up back in 2016 when I was spending a stupid amount of time working on Venns in D3. The author's comments on algorithms for calculating Venns were pretty interesting:

http://www.benfrederickson.com/venn-diagrams-with-d3.js/

I found his rendering algorithm to be fast and reliable. But with too many sets? The output ban be gibberish. But that's on the charter, not the chart.

More notes on Venns:

* Default to a nice color palette, as Domo always does...but give us an option.

* Options to display the set's name and value on the graph. So "Australia - 783" for the "A" above. For the intersections, it would be nice to have the value shown.

* Quick filter! A quick-filter that lets you drop out sets and redraws the Venn accordingly would be fantastic.

* Legend options: Category and value.

Thanks!

• P.S. Euler - non-interesecting sets should still be graphable.

• I remembered one other key feature for Venn diagrams: Controlling plot order. If you're producing different Venn diagrams to compare different aspects of two groups, it's confusing when the sequence of the sets changes. For example, imagine that you're comparing Australia and Canada on a couple of different levels. I've done this on bird taxonomies at species, genera, and family level...but that's not a common business problem ? In my current case, we're all about parts, subassemblies and full assemblies within and across facilities. So, lots of lateral and horizontal comparisons. Anyway, if you set up a section with side-by-side cards (or if Domo implements support for "small multiples'/chart grids, the positioning of the cirlces matters. Here's a mock-up of a confusing pairing of Venn diagrams:

venn_bad.png

Australia is on the left in the first diagram and on the right in the second. This is super confusing. There's no effecient way to compare the charts. The color and label in the mock-up are right, but position is a much more powerful property than either of those. Here the two charts are changed so that Australia is always  on the left and Canada is always on the right:

venn_good.png

This makes the two charts a whole lot easier to draw useul information from. Pretend that the chart on the left is for a specific product line and the chart on the right is for all product lines in a catalog. You can see that in the specific product line chart on the left (say, "cookies/sweet biscuits" for a food company) that the two countries have product lines of similar size, but many unique items. On the right, you can see that Australia has a much smaller collection of procuts across all ranges. Sorry, my mock-up numbers don't quite reflect that story - hopefully the idea is clear anyway. (I just drew circles in OmniGraffle, these aren't real charts of any kind.)

Note that it would also be nice to be able to draw Venns with rectangles. I know that circles/elipses are traditional, but rectangles are arguably easier to interpret. Plus, you could then use the rendering logic for other bar-like chart types, like Pyramid charts.

• Forgot to say, sort order would seem like a logical hinting mechanism for the renderer to control plot position. So, sort by "country name" and they're drawn around your plot point based on alphabetical order, etc.

• csteele
    csteele Dallas Texas ⚪️

Any status update on this?  We have clients that buy into 1 to 4 different product lines.  Would love to show the overlap.  For example if they buy from product line A do they typical buy from C & D also.  

• @Gavatar  Domo team - do we have any updated on Venn daigram chart please 

This discussion has been closed.