• ACOS ( float_expression )
  • TAN ( float_expression )
  • ATAN ( float_expression )
  • LOG ( float_expression [, base ] )
  • PATINDEX ( '%pattern%' , expression )
  • FORMAT ( value, format [, culture ] )
  • CONVERT ( data_type [ ( length ) ] , expression [ , style ] ) *
  • TRY_CONVERT ( data_type [ ( length ) ], expression [, style ] ) *
  • OVER ( [ <PARTITION BY clause> ] [ <ORDER BY clause> ] [ <ROW or RANGE clause>] )
  • ROW_NUMBER ( )
  • LAG ( scalar_expression [,offset] [,default] )
  • LEAD ( scalar_expression [,offset] [,default] )

* STR_TO_DATE does exist inside beast mode calculations but converting from a string to any other numeric data type does not

11 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• I would add Format to this list.

FORMAT ( value, format [, culture ] )

If you use CONCAT in a beast mode summary number, there's currently no way to add placeholder commas which is a real bear.

• Hua
    Hua 🟡

Great list!  I would also suggest to add MEDIAN there too.

• @totesmgoets,

FORMAT is already on the list Robot Embarassed

@Hua,

I'd like to see a MEDIAN function as well but I have some reservations with regaurds to the praticality of implementing it. MEDIAN doesn't exist natively in either T-SQL or MySQL because it can't be calculated by splitting the data into subsets and running the calculation on each subset (either in series or parallel) then merging those subset calculations into a single result. This may make it difficult to implement without a significant  performance hit or massive resource allocation especially when it's being calculated repeatedly on a large datset.

• @kwmier whoops, you are correct!

• Hua
    Hua 🟡

@kwmier, I do see your point about MEDIAN not existing in native T-SQL or MySQL, but is there in RedShift.  If Median is not available when building the card as beastmode, then it is pretty much not usable, as the calculated median from dataset cannot be dynamically calculated based on filter, or grouping during visualization.  

One example:

I have a list of defects, and want to find out median turn-around time of the, by period (week, month, quarter), by team, by type, etc.  I would like to have this flexibility on visualization layer rather than on data/analytical layer.  Is there any way of implementing this already?

Thanks,
    Hua

• Thank you for submitting this @kwmier. I am assigning to our product manager @JSharp to review and comment.

• Hi any info on the Median being added to a beast mode, that would be awesome.

• @JSharp any update on this request?

• @totesmgoets While we have this on our list, we have not been able to implement the items suggested above. 

• Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
This discussion has been closed.