Magic ETL Commentary

It would be really helpful to have the ability to add text boxes to Magic ETL so that notes can be added.  Updating the names of actions only gets you so far.  Sometimes I want to make notes about the dataflow, in general, or sections of the dataflow. 

An important part of this feature would be the ability to move and size the text box. 

Thanks!

DataMaven
Breaking Down Silos - Building Bridges
Check out my video!
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
60 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

60 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• Thanks for posting this idea, there is an existing idea which can be found here:

https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Magic-ETL-Commentary/idi-p/26073

Please vote it up.

I will combine the ideas.

Thanks!

Dani

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
  • Thank you for submitting this @DataMaven.  Per discussion with @DaniBoy, we will use this idea to track ETL commentary and I am assigning to our product manager @StevenC to review and comment.

• Ability to make notes in Magic ETL is very much needed.  That said, I would like it to work more like excel.  where I can see there is a note but it is not always displayed.  I can click or hover to expose note.  

It would also be nice to be able to indicate what group of actions apply to the comment.  

• Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
  • Thanks Dani!

DataMaven
    Check out my video!
  • +1 For this idea.

In my experience there are several reasons and benefits to adding notes:

1. Add Summary Information for the entire job and denote the main steps and overall objective.
    2. Add Component Information to describe what it's doing
      • I think the comment on hover idea mentioned would be awesome here to avoid clutter. Better yet, make it an option to hover or display.
    3. Add Group Component commentary (see second image) to indicate related objects that complete a singl objective

See images below (taken from Matillion ETL tool)

Summary Comment and Component CommentSummary Comment and Component Comment

Commenting a GroupCommenting a Group

Jacob Folsom
    **Say “Thanks” by clicking the “heart” in the post that helped you.
  • @DataJake Thank you for the great comment on this idea, extremely helpful!!!

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
  • @StevenC @DaniBoy 

This idea has been out there a long time, and is consistently gaining likes.  Has there been any progress in development on it?  As my dataflows are getting more and more complex and I am teaching users more and more, this functionality would be incredibly useful.  

Thanks!

Alexis

DataMaven
    Check out my video!
  • Thanks @DataMaven 

CC: @codysirwin 

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
  • Agreed that this would be fantastic to have in order to more fully document the ETL/process and also for other users who did not create the ETL but may be required to modify it or take it over entirely.

• Any updates?  I just lost an hour of my day trying to figure out what I did last time.  I believe Domo wants people to use this tool instead of Redshift.  Not having the abilty to make comments is definitely a deterrant to using the tool for complex data flows.

• DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

@mkozai 

Great time to tweet this question in the live Q&A

@#ASKDP20

Feed is here

Tweet your question with the #AskDP20

Thanks!

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
This discussion has been closed.