Small multiples for appropriate chart types

I love multiple miniatures/small multiples. Here's an example from An Introduction to Small 6354.multibar%402x.pngMultiples:

I'm pretty new to Domo and it only just fully hit me that Domo has a One Card = One Graph rule. Unless the chart itself supports an alternate presentation (like a pie chart with a detailed legend), you can't combine elements on a card. I can see what a huge simplification that has brought to the UX/UI in Domo, and the cards always look good. Still, not supporting small multiples is a loss. For chart types that can be compared accurately, multiple miniatures are just the best! 

Rather than propose breaking the one card/one graph rule, I'd propose making multiple miniatures an option for appropriate card types. That's pretty much any kind of line, dot, scatter, of bar chart. You just need a category to break out the miniatures by, like year in the example above.

For our projects, we could use multiple miniatures constantly. We're really interested in comparing change over timevariation by department, and differences between facilities. You can do that with line charts and such, but multiple miniatures just work so much better.

Note: You could make individual charts and then put them in a collection, but then they aren't visible together. Multiple miniatures on one card with a filter or highlight option? That would be amazing.

It would be nice to have control over the size and layout of the miniatures a bit too.

Note: I downloaded Tableau today to mock up a slope chart and noticed that it seems to default to multiple miniatures as soon as it has enough data. I'm not complaining about Domo (I'm loving it!), but I was pretty forcefully reminded how nice it is to have support for small multiples.

3 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• Adding a thought about this feature reuquest to make what I was describing clearer.  Imagine a regular bar chart, but with a checkbox 

[ x  ] Show as chart grid

Then you get to specify a colum to use as the break value for the individual charts. Imagine, day of the week. Imagine a data set with all seven days, you end up with a 'grid' of seven identical bar charts, except that one displays data from Mondays, one from Tuesdays, and so on. Years, months, quaters are all very easy to imagine in a chart grid like this. 

The goal is to have them all as integrated displays based on the same DataSet, filters, sorts and so on - but split into small multiples based on the break column.

Thanks.

• Another idea for small multiples: linked hover. Here's a link to a page that shows the feature I'm talking about:

https://www.biostat.wisc.edu/~kbroman/D3/car_crashes/

These aren't the prettiest graphs in the world, but the linked hover feature is vergy effective. Hover over a state in any one of the charts and you'll see a hover with the state abbreviation. That's the sot of behavior that Domo aleady supports (and more nicely.) The great feature is that when you hover over a category in one chart, that category highlights in all of the other charts. In the example below, hovering over Kentuky in the "Not distracted crashes" puts up a large abbreviation "KY" and changes the color and size of the dot in the dot plot. It also then changes the color and size of the dot in all of the other dot plots and scatter plots (not pictured here.) This is a powerful way to present and explore related/connected facets of a data set.

car_crash.png

Domo doesn't have any multi-chart display types now, but with a "chart grid" it would. In that case, a linked hover is a really fantastic interactive feature. If a card ever becomes a canvas for multiple charts (not even of the same type), then the linked hover would apply there as well. WIth the current one card = one chart rule, it's harder to see this idea applying.

On a multi-chart card, you could make the linked hover display a card property. Something like "Linked hover".

hover_format.png

You would really need entry boxes for some of these attributes, and they might not be mutually exclusive. I just tossed that up to make the idea clearer. Some effective animations are listed above:

Glow

Draw a circle around a dot, for example, with a glow effect for a particular time.

You need stroke width and duration.

Outline

Draw a circle around a dot, for example.

You need stroke width and possibly a color.

Radius

Make the dot, etc. bigger.

You need a factor, like x2.

Color

Set all instances of the category to a different color.

You just need a color

There are tons of variations, those are just a few ideas that work well.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.