Dataset/Dataflow Management

As the business grows, we create a lot of new datasets and dataflows,

currently we name it in such a way, we are able to easily filter this by "project"

i think a better way to do this in the long run, is for us to have the ability to create folders to organize those datasets/dataflows

14 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• I have this exact suggestion on a list of suggestions I haven't gotten around to.  PLEASE!!! 

It would also be helpful if a single item could be visible in multiple folders, just like you can see cards on multiple pages. 

There could also be a function to essentially 'turn off' the foldered view for database management function.  That way, when you want to review naming conventions or overall content or do a clean-up, you aren't having to navigate in and out of them. 

DataMaven
    Breaking Down Silos - Building Bridges
    Check out my video!
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Great suggestions! Both from "newbie" and DataMaven. 

...and pleae make sure to add the 'folder' details to the DataSet API.

• Have you tried using tags?  You can actually name your tags to similate a folder structure.  Ex.

• Sales Data
    • Sales Data / Business Unit 1
    • Sales Data / Business Unit 2

When you add the tag filter to your DataSet/DataFlow view, it will show you all the tags and also has a real time search feature.  The first image below shows all 4 test tags, then the second image shows the display when I type the letter m. Notice "Temporay Dataset" still displays becaue m is present in the first word.  If I type mp, Monitor disappears.  

Tags.jpgTags_Search.jpg

Tag_3.jpg

If you name your tags well, you get the visual effect of folders but a much more enriched experience. 

• Ability to see counts of items in that location.
    • Assign as many tags to each item as you want.
    • Quick an easy search
    • Simply management
    • Avoid the nusance of expanding/contracting or drilling in/out of the folder heirachy.

• mkozai wrote:

Have you tried using tags?  You can actually name your tags to similate a folder structure.

Thanks for the information and for including a nice example. I've spent the last 20 minutes hunting through the various forms of documentation, and I can't find anything about tags on DataSets. I'm probably missing something totally obvious here, but where are you setting these tags? Where are you using them?

Thanks a lot!

• Thanks DataSquirrel...DataMaven is not finding tags either!  I heard that they would be coming, but I have not seen them go live.  

(Couldn't help referring to myself in the third person)

DataMaven
    Check out my video!
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • > Thanks DataSquirrel...DataMaven is not finding tags either!
    > I heard that they would be coming, but I have not seen them go live.

DataSquirrel is down with that ?

If it's a beta feature in limited release, I guess that it's something to look forward to.

• Sorry about that... This is a beta feature.  I did not realize the new data center was not out of Beta yet.  I just checked and they were not sure of the exact release date.  But sounds like when they do release it, it will be really helpful to you....

Short story is you can add tags to any DataFlow or DataSet and then you can use the tags to then quickly find the DataFlow/DataSet in the Data Center. 

• That's great to hear, looking forward to it.

Is there a preview of the feature set, or is it all under wraps for the moment?

• @mkozai letting the cat out of the bag!

Tags are indeed part of the new data center experience.  I bet it's publicly launched at Domopalooza.

Tags, saved searches, new navigation, mass owner reassignment, mass dataflow runs, mass dataset runs, mass tag assignment, etc.

Good times.

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

• Sounds great!

• AS:

Tags, saved searches, new navigation, mass owner reassignment, mass dataflow runs, mass dataset runs, mass tag assignment, etc.

@AS are those other cats being let out of bags? Smiley LOL All sounds good to me, can't wait!

• Many cats, @Valiant

But they're adorable and useful, so it's permitted.

cats.jpg

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

• Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
  • Thanks Dani!

PS - I love that most of my favorite dojo folks are chiming in on this one.  ? 

@DaniBoy - I see that you just updated a string of my ideas - Are you poking me to get active again?  It's probably going to work!  I've been so insanely busy that I have not been able to be as active as before, but I want to be.  I will work on it.  ? 

DataMaven
    Check out my video!
  • @DataMaven

We miss you in the Dojo! Simply bumping up in the queue ideas that have at least 10 votes and working on some improved processes with Engineering. Your ideas are well liked and your Dojo participation is welcomed!

Hope all is well back East!

Regards,

Dani

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
This discussion has been closed.