Group By function appears to have broken in the ETL UI (but not the actual processing of saved ETLs)
I set up some ETLs a bit over a week ago that utilise the group by function to mind the max(_LAST_BATCH_DATE_) and then join that back up to allow me to filter for only the most recent version of the record.
- the ETL was still running correctly and putting data through as expected
- opening the ETL shows the Group By node as broken (even though its specified correctly)...first picture
- I've tried fresh ETLs with simple Group By nodes....but they're broken there as well
It appears to be a UI bug:
- Create Group By node
- specify the node properly
- click on the aggregation and you get the full list of applicable aggregation methods
- click off the node (anywhere that causes the node to lose focus)
- click back on the aggregation method
- get the message 'No matches found'
This kind of stuff is making me consider making the decision to churn the company to another platform. What should have been a 5 minute task to build-it-just-like-the-other-10-dataflows-that-are-working, as is often the case with Domo, has wasted well over an hour of mine and my teams time.