Confirm when changing Workbench 3 job settings between Create / Append / Replace

I use a mouse with a scroller wheel, and every now and then rolling the wheel while using Workbench 3 causes my job setting to change. I'm pretty sure that when I open a stored job it automatically puts me into that dropdown menu, so if I don't click on something else before I scroll my mouse wheel (which I don't even realize I'm doing), it change my job setting.

More then twice I have discovered that I accidentally flipped a Replace job to an Append job -- you can imagine what that does to my data when it doubles itself.

There needs to be a callout when a job is run that acknowledges that this setting has been changed. Just as we have to confirm a schema change before uploading, this field needs an extra check and balance.

Another thought would be to change the color of the text -- example 'Create New Data Source' has a blue font, 'Replace an existing data source' is green, and 'Append to existing data source' is red -- that way I would be able to see with clarity that the color I'm expecting to see when I go to run this job has changed. Not as foolproof as a callout, but could be helpful.

Please make some positive changes to this menu. I have been using Workbench 3 since its release and have learned a lot, but still manage to make this stupid mistake with surprising frequency. 

Broadway + Data
Tagged:
1 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

1 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• @alexpeay can you please take a look at this?

• Robyn,

We have a major release of Workbench coming later this year and it will include many UI enhancements. One that I think will help here is that changes to the job are not instantly saved, rather you will notified that a job has changed and then have overtly 'Save Job' before the changes are persisted to the server. 

I will reach out to you when the release has been completed and see if this satisfies your needs for this request.

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
This discussion has been closed.