Data Labels Picklist in Chart Properties

When you add data labels you have to enter the macro into the Text box and when you click in a hover window pops up with the available choices you can then type in. Since it is limited to these options only why not just make it a picklist? It is essentially a virtual picklist anyways and not immediately intuitive to non-technical people that you have to type in replacement macros in that box to get the lables to appear. I think a picklist would take out an unneccesary step and also help newer users figure out on their own where and how to add lables.

7 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• Thank you for your suggestion.  This has been submitted to our engineering team through ticket DOMO-44911.

• DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
  • I agree with this suggestion, however would still like to be able to type in a Macro so that I can add additional text as needed. 

Broadway + Data
  • @Gavatar can you take a look at this please?

• Gavatar
    Gavatar

domo

💎

Thanks for the input. This is definitely one of those cases where we need to take a closer look at power versus ease of use. The reason we use an edit box is because you "can" choose to use any combination of the following:

Replacement macro (%_VALUE...)

Any Text (Summer Sales...)

Combination of macros and text for example (Sales:%_VALUE of TOTAL:%_GRAPH_TOTAL)

To support the "power" of building the combination we use an edit box. 

Do any of you find this "power" useful? Now that you know would you ever build a more complex data label?

• Gavatar
    Gavatar

domo

💎

• I do that often - for example 

%_SERIES_NAME | %_CATEGORY_NAME Weeks from Opening | %_VALUE

But I do still support the picklist idea.

Broadway + Data
This discussion has been closed.