Data Source Security Settings

It would be greate if you could add a feature that allowed admins to control access rights to certain data sources. An example would be an HR source you don't want everyone with editor or above permissions to have access to when building cards. I would like to be able to control what data sources people in my instance have access to at the individual level.

37 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• Thank you for your suggestion.  This has been submitted to our engineering team through ticket DOMO-44908.

• @Court can you take a look at this please?

• I have been telling Domo that we need this as well!!!!

• This is estential to the security of the data we upload.  Seems odd DOMO hasn't taken care of this already. 

• Data security is big big issue.  We have a group in EMEA that are very concerned that they will not be able to use this tool due to this issue.  The only access that is completely secure is "Participant" within a publication group.  This view is very limiting and does not allow for any of the unique features that sell Domo.

There should be a way to limit or eliminate the view into DATA CENTER.

• @alexpeay, will you please take a look at this great feedback? 

• @nick_datasift That is a great idea. We have been working hard on this set of features and look forward to releasing it later in the year. 

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

This idea was brought up again at DP16 during Adam L's presentation by @melissa. We will update this thread once we have a confident date for release which is not known as of today.

Thanks everyone!

Dani

PS Thanks Melissa for reinforcing the importance of this to everyone at Domo!

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
  • I would love security level access to datasets through Groups.  This best fits my use cases as we segregate data by pages and tabs when it comes to access.  I would also want security to be automatically restricted to any cards or workflows being directly powered by a dataset that is restricted.  In thinking about this, it would be most helpful to see what cards/dataflows would be restricted if a restriction is put on a dataset (sounds like a new tab, see image below) and review this later so I can grant proper access if needed.

*There are lots of ways to implement: one tab could have two lists, cards and dataflows; two tabs could hold this separately.  If group permissions are allowed, I would expect the admin/groups page's function "+ Add Page or Card" to change to "+ Add Page, Card or Datasource".

DatasetRestrictionsTab.PNG

I'll be looking forward to seeing what implementation results in.

•  @tc thanks for your input. There will be a number of security features coming out this year. Some soon like PDP other will come in the fall like DataSet sharing. We are committed to enahncing and improving the security tools around DataSets and this notion of restrictions is a very interesting one that we can look at after these planned efforts are available. 

My expectation is that once we have PDP and Sharing in place those tools will do much of what you are looking to do then we can have a deeper discussion to add advanced features.

Thanks for your feedback.

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • Thanks @alexpeay for the quick response and the details you included.  It's also nice to hear that my input will not be lost once this particular issue will be closed.  If you'd like me to move this to it's own idea, please let me know.  I'm happy to help faciliate whatever will be easiest for your team(s) to keep track of.

• DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

@alexpeay

Are @tc suggestions captured in what was approved for the original idea or does he need to create a separate idea to ensure this is recognized?

Thanks!
    Dani

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
  • This (and @tc's additions) were released as part of Personalized Data Permissions (PDP).

This discussion has been closed.