Ability to Manually Add A Filter Value

It would be useful to have the option of manually typing the value to filter a card from. I have run across several instances where I have built the structure of a card prior to having a complete set of data to power it. If I was able to specify a value during the card creation stage that would save a second step of editing the card or series of cards later as values change in the data source.

An example would be if you had a card which you would like to filter on color. You know your options will be Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, but the data set is incomplete because the source has just been created. In this scenario if you built a card to filter on the color Blue, you would not be able to build the card because the value you are looking for doesn't exist in the source data yet. Now imagine you built 20 cards off the value Blue prior to the data source being complete. Having the ability to specify Blue during the card creation would save allot of future time making edits.

· Last Updated

Comments

• I agree with this recommendation and feel the Domo communitiy would to if this was reposted

• Thank you for submitting this idea @Dan.  I am assigning to our product manager @StevenC for review.

• Hi @Dan, thanks for the idea. The chart wouldn't have the data to display but at least filters are set so that when you do add the correct data it would require less work getting the chart ready, is that your thought?

• Hi @michaelf, I believe the point is that if there is no data for that value in the field we could manually add a value to the filter and save for the future reporting for when the data is populated with that new value. This comes up for us in new codes we deploy that we haven't started selling yet so no data exists, but yet we want to build an operational report in advance. The important point here is that if we manually type the field value and then later the data in the column contains that same name that it doesn't add a new value in the filter drop down list, it alighns under the manually named filter.

• Thanks @lovelock for helping me to better see the use case! That's a great point you make. @Dan I've created an internal ticket, DOMO-73863, to review this idea with our development team. Thanks for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.