Alerts or restrictions for multiple people working in a data source

When you have two or more people working on cards in the same data source, they can save over eachother's work, with the most recent save overwritting the previous work.  There should either be an alert warning that there have been changes made to the data source, and asking verification to overwrite that work; or a data source should be locked when one person is editing or creating with it.

3 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• Thank you for submitting this idea.  I am assigning to our product manager @alexpeay for review.

• Can you clarify where you are having the issue? You mention both the DataSource and the card. My reading of this is that you have two users that are making changes to the card and when they save we result in a save conflict and the last one to save wins, is that correct?

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • It happens when two or more users are editing the same card, but also when editing or building different cards out of the same data source.  So if I'm building a new card out of dataset "TOPSELLERS" and I create five new Beast Modes for that card, and save it... if someone else was working on another card from that same dataset at the same time, and they hit save right after me, they overright my changes to the dataset.  In other words, they delete all the Beast Modes I had created.

• sdjenkins,

thanks for the clarification of the issue. Your example helps us know where the pain points are and make sure that we are thinking about this in a manner that will best meet your needs. Let me talk this through with some other product managers and see what will be the best way of allowing a more collaborative and consistent card and beastmode creation expeirnece.

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • @product_John can you assign this to Steve from the PM team?

Alex Peay
    Product Manager
    Domo
  • Best,
    Matt Chandler
    Domo
  • @StevenC can you take a look at this please?

• Thanks for the feedback @sdjenkins and for clarifying what the issue is. We've created an internal ticket, DOMO-70013, to review this with the engineering team to see how we can best solve this pain point.

• What's the status of this request? I'd love to see a small indicator somewhere in the cardbuilder screen if someone is in the card builder screen making edits in a card I am trying to make changes to. It would be especially handy if I could hover over it and see who was making the edit.

This discussion has been closed.