Date and Time Functions in Beastmode

Current State: all of those functions are preset to UTC, which means that for Eastern Time Zone, they change value at 7 pm. I have to create a workarounds to make sure that they work as expected for my time zone.

Desired state: ability to preset functions to the user timezone.

8 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• Any resolution on that? I was bitten by this issue jut 2 days ago when I was looking at a MTD fcast vs. actual at 9 pm and the forecast for the following day was already added to the view because CURRENT_DATE flipped to the next day (it does that at 7 pm EDT, because it's midnight UTC). This is extremely critical for us going into the holiday season as people monitor performance late ito the night.

• We are having the same exact struggles. I would love to see some date functions that operated on our company time zone. It's frustrating when the data for yesterday disappears at 7pm EST.

• DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

@bryanphillips please be sure to vote this idea up so that we can formally review the idea.

Thanks!
    Dani

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
  • Hua
    Hua 🟡

To add more to this request, I would like to have the date/time sync'ed across time zone.  For example, if I have a due date on 5/3/2017 10am, I would users from all timezone to see 5/3/2017 10am in their local time, NOT 10am PST, 1pm EST, etc.

Thanks,

Hua

• DaniBoy
    DaniBoy

domo

💎

Thanks @Hua

CC @btm

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can update your Dojo Community name and avatar by clicking on your avatar then the "My Profile" button.
  • btm
    btm

domo

💎

Thank you for submitting this @SLaczny. I am assigning to our product manager @JSharp to review and comment.

• mkozai
    mkozai ⚪️

We store our data in UTC and import the data into DOMO in UTC.  However in our system settings we have our timezone set to PDT.    it is my understanding that DOMO will store the data in UTC but then when you visualize it, it will convert the data to PDT.  Very nice feature.  Until you try use any of the current date/time functions in beast mode. 

The current_timestamp() is in UTC and even though you imported your data as UTC, all beast mode calculations will convert your data to your application timezone setting ('PDT' in my case), however it will NOT convert the current_timestamp(), or any other current time function.  Would not be the end of the world except beastmode also does not have a timezone conversion function.  it does have addtime and subtime, but we observe DST so adding a fixed number of hours does not work. 

Would love to see one of the following

• Whatever you decided to do with time, please be more consistent in what you do.  Don't convert some and not others. (preferred)
    • Add a timezone conversion function
  • Great feedback, everyone! We are looking into ways to address this in the future. Keep the feedback coming!

• Ok I found a solution that works in beast mode.... CONVERT_TZ(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP(), 'UTC', 'US/PACIFIC')

Thank you for having the timezone table set up!

•  @JSharp woudl we conisder this to be implemented in Product based on the last comment from @mkozai?

Let me know.

Thanks!
    Dani

Dani aka "Mr.Dojo"

Dojo Admin
This discussion has been closed.