Replace Existing Card while Retaining Original Reference

User story:  I build a card, it's on a production page, users have favorited it, added alerts, buzz discussions, etc.  Sometime later I find that I want to experiment with enhancements, corrections, whatever, so I Duplicate the card in order to be able to work on it out of the public view.  Once I'm ready to promote it to production, I can give it the same name and put it back into the production space and remove the old version... which introduces some problems... OR I can now go and recreate all of my steps and apply them this time to the existing production card.

If I promote the new card and remove the old card, bye-bye alerts, favorites, buzz discussions, and so on. 

What I'd like to be able to do is to have a REPLACE function on the card tools menu, have it prompt me with which card i would like to replace, pick my page, pick my card, and have it swap into the same URL-referenced card id/object as was the original.  Buzz stays attached, favorites are retained, alerts are not lost.

Considerations:  

• Not sure what to do with the original card... maybe a prompt for whether i want to archive or REMOVE, and I select archive, where I want to Move it to?
  • What if there are multiple copies of the original card... perhaps a prompt for whether i want to REPLACE ALL?
  • Assuming I have not made a change that breaks or invalidates the alerts - maybe it needs an alerts validation sub-routine to warn me if any alert is no longer viable before I confirm replacement?  

See also a prior idea - Copy Cards by reference that was archived as "already existing functionality".  There are some parallels, but I don't think the existing Duplicate and Move/Copy features get me far enough down the road I'm looking to travel.  FYI - @product_John

**Say thank you by clicking the 'thumbs up'
**Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"
0 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• Sounds like what you're asking for is the existing card to have the settings of the new card you developed.  Is that another way to put it?  What about a dialogue that allows an admin to copy settings from one card to another?  That would at least help with the Buzz, favorites, alerts etc because the card persists.

Are you mostly doing this kind of thing when you just slightly tweak a card, like adjusting a beast mode or adding labels?  Or do you make wholesale changes?

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Slight tweaks, usually just in the base card.  Here's today's example - have a stacked column card, 2 factors.  Requested to add a third factor and turn it into a Stacked w/ Symbol.  Want to create this new version, need to validate results; oh they aren't correct - why not?; need to do some research with the source data to determine if there's an issue.  So this Duplicated/modified version is saved, but may sit for hours/days before final changes are made and ready to implement.  At that point, would like to push it into production, but just replace the existing base card without having to either a) re-implement the same changes in the existing base card so that it retains its history, buzz, favorites, etc.; or b) put the new card into production, and remove the original card, sacrificing any user-attachment that may have existed with the original card.

**Say thank you by clicking the 'thumbs up'
    **Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"
  • I've certainly done something like that on occasion.  I usually do as you suggested and duplicate a development card to a new page, then copy the settings over to the old card when validated.  And usually, because the adjusments are small and few in number, the old card doesn't take more than a minute to update.  But I can see in some more refined cases that an option for automation would be helpful.

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
This discussion has been closed.