View As Option

As an admin, there should be "View As" option in the pages to confirm what the audience of the page is seeing

27 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• Thank you for submitting this idea.  I am assigning to our product manager @MitchyMitch8 for review

• I think this is ESPECIALLY important for Publication Groups!!! I have a dummy account I use to test publication groups, but I have to switch the configuration to test Publication Group A's access vs Publication Group B's access, and if I need to provide a pub group any helpdesk support I would like to be able to see what they would be seeing more smoothly. Also outside of troubleshooting, would be very helpful for quality assurance to make sure all filters are set properly and the access is restricted as intended.

Broadway + Data
  • @newbie thanks for the great suggestion! We're definitely taking a look at this one, and I've got it added to our product radar. Keep the great ideas coming!

• i have mentioned this to our account manager Jared Snow... this is something i have been struggling with while managing adoption and different user groups at my company. It's not easy to figure out what people are actually seeing when they log into Domo.

• or instead of just having this View As option in the Page, what if in the Admin tools, there is an option to see the instance of a group or multiple groups

for example, 

User1 belongs to group A and B

User2 belongs only to group A

The admin should be able to see whats in the instance of User 2, so that user is seeing maybe 2 pages only,

For User1, the user might have access to 5 pages

This way- the admin can effectively manage and clean up pages and its content and also see if the filters are available once the analyzer is turned on etc

• This really needs to be implemented.

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Budapest / Portland, OR 🔴

@bdavis , The Domo Governance datasets (Users and Cards and Cards and Pages) were designed to address this requirement.

if you're worried about data access, implement PDP (personal data permissions)

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • @jaeW_at_Onyx I don't see how a dataset replaces being able to visually see if the data is accurate. If a page has multiple data sets, it's a very quick way to see if everything is set up properly, including making sure a PDP exists for them or that they were entered in the proper groups, etc. 

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Budapest / Portland, OR 🔴

@bdavis , you're describing a feature to solve the problem.  I'm describing a solution to the problem that will scale with users.  

Ideally you shouldn't have multiple datasets feeding one dashboard as PDP will become unwieldy to manage.  I would recommend combining (UNION) datasets to create one dashboard dataset, that way you can guarantee you have consistency in PDP policies by only having to apply the data access rules once.  YOU CAN toggle PDP rules and therefore would be able to see what data different groups of users have access to.  AND ensure consistency with my proposed method.  Also by combining datasets you create ONE DATASET to manage  and ensure that column names are consistent.  We've all encountered the scenario where Posting_Date, PostingDate, and Posting Date existed and therefore it was a PITA to apply filters for the end user.

Visual inspection of which cards people have access to is a bit of a hack b/c theoretically ANYONE can eventually get anything shared with them if your users aren't careful.  But relying on datasets, you can create rules for what you DON'T want to have happen (ex. alert me if anyone that is not in XYZ admin group get access to XYZ dashboards or cards).  Visual inspection is the 'easy' but not scalable workaround and results in more mistakes if you're not vigilant.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
This discussion has been closed.