Replace Existing Card while Retaining Original Reference
User story: I build a card, it's on a production page, users have favorited it, added alerts, buzz discussions, etc. Sometime later I find that I want to experiment with enhancements, corrections, whatever, so I Duplicate the card in order to be able to work on it out of the public view. Once I'm ready to promote it to production, I can give it the same name and put it back into the production space and remove the old version... which introduces some problems... OR I can now go and recreate all of my steps and apply them this time to the existing production card.
If I promote the new card and remove the old card, bye-bye alerts, favorites, buzz discussions, and so on.
What I'd like to be able to do is to have a REPLACE function on the card tools menu, have it prompt me with which card i would like to replace, pick my page, pick my card, and have it swap into the same URL-referenced card id/object as was the original. Buzz stays attached, favorites are retained, alerts are not lost.
- Not sure what to do with the original card... maybe a prompt for whether i want to archive or REMOVE, and I select archive, where I want to Move it to?
- What if there are multiple copies of the original card... perhaps a prompt for whether i want to REPLACE ALL?
- Assuming I have not made a change that breaks or invalidates the alerts - maybe it needs an alerts validation sub-routine to warn me if any alert is no longer viable before I confirm replacement?
See also a prior idea - Copy Cards by reference that was archived as "already existing functionality". There are some parallels, but I don't think the existing Duplicate and Move/Copy features get me far enough down the road I'm looking to travel. FYI - @product_John
**Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"
- 10.7K All Categories
- 13 Getting Started in the Community
- 35 Beastmode & Analytics
- 2.1K Data Platform & Data Science
- 59 Domo Everywhere
- 2.7K Charting
- 2.5K Ideas Exchange
- 1.3K Connectors
- 362 Workbench
- 303 Use Cases & Best Practices
- 500 APIs
- 118 Apps
- 48 News
- 753 Onboarding
- 1.1K 日本支部
- Private Company Board