Time Lapse Options in card

I'd like to see a time lapse option added to all cards to display data over a specified period of time.

ASSUMPTIONS:

A date parameter is selected for use with time lapse display.  The date used does NOT have to be something displayed on the graph's data points, but should be displayed like the summary number and change as the time lapse progresses.

REQUIREMENTS:

• Will select date for use with time lapse
  • Will add a start and end date (could be a function of existing filtering)
  • Will select cycle duration, cadance, delay and persistance
    • Duration: How long the entire time lapse should occur
    • Cadance: What date part should be used; hourly, daily, monthly...
    • Delay: How long should the delay between replaying the time lapse be (delay doesn't have to occur so long as a replay is signaled somehow)
      • For example if there is a timeline at the bottom of the page and a play arrow progresses before moving back to the starting position again, that's fine.
    • Persistance: How long should a data point remain on the screen before fading, shrinking or otherwise being removed from view.

EXAMPLES:

1. Date field not used as data point
    1. Inventory by Location lapsed over time
    2. US Map showing the sales over time
    3. Tree map or bubble chart of top sellers or poor performing vendors over time
  2. Date field used as data point
    1. X-axis of time by Y-axis of customer complaint volume
    2. X-axis of time by Y-axis of project activity cost

REFERENCES:

Spread of Disease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r7Ay3zvRD8

Spread of Walmart (so it's basically the same as the above)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os7ji9WxWvg

10 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• In conversations at #DP17 much of the infrastrucutre for this might already be in place due to the work on YoY (Year of Year) display.

• AS
    AS 🔵

You're talking about more of an animated view, right?

Hans Rosling and Gapminder have some pretty awesome examples of this with global health data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVimVzgtD6w

This type of visualization Domo doesn't natively have yet, but it can be built as a custom app.  If this is what you're looking for, you might try connecting with the labs team at Domo or with Tyson Bearnson there who has built an animated visual before.  Tell him I sent you.

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • I agree an animated view of change over time (time lapse) would be a very interesting way to view information.  I have seen this in Microsoft's BI tools (Power View) where you can view the annimation, and also control with a time value slicer.

I would love to see this in Domo!

• Thank you for submitting this @tc. I am assigning to our product manager @Gavatar to review and comment.

• Love this enhancement. We have it very high on our priority list. We hope to deliver it this year.

This discussion has been closed.