MySQL Dataflow Changing Column Formats

Highlighted
White Belt

MySQL Dataflow Changing Column Formats

What I am trying to do is convert a bunch of time columns in my dataset that come over as text fields into time fields so I can aggregate or sum them. I am dealing with phone data, so I would like to add the call times together.

I am fairly new with using MySQL dataflows, so any help would be appreciated. This is what I have so far (I am just showing 2 of the columns I have; TIMESTAMP & CALL TIME), but the column type still shows text when I run the SQL:

mysqldataflow.PNG

Thanks for your help!

Highlighted
Black Belt

Try pulling your data into a card.

Although MySQL may show the datatype as text, what really matters is how the data gets stored in Vault (Domo Data Storage layer) and then interpreted into Adrenaline (Domo Database / Visualization) layer.

If you think about it, ALL data gets converted into 'text' when it gets stored as a flat file.  What matters is how the database interprets it.

Jae Wilson
Check out my Domo Training YouTube Channel

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
Highlighted
White Belt

Thanks for your response and your explanation makes sense to me. This is what I did and it does not seem to be working the way I want.

I pulled the output dataset into a table card, and the new columns that I tried to convert (calltime_test, calltime_test1 & calltime_test2) are not coming over as times. They are all dimensions and not measures.

sqldfcard.PNG

Announcements
Domopalooza 2021 Call for Presenters: We want to hear how Domo is revolutionizing the way you do business!

Click here to submit your story.