Redshift order by

Yellow Belt

Redshift order by

My first try at using Redshift.  Trying to use ORDER BY and not getting the expected result.  The output table should be sorted by column "a".

Here are the steps:

1. Create tbl_data

SELECT 3 as "a", 30 as "b"
UNION ALL
SELECT 3 as "a", 30 as "b"
UNION ALL
SELECT 2 as "a", 20 as "b"
UNION ALL
SELECT 2 as "a", 20 as "b"
UNION ALL
SELECT 1 as "a", 10 as "b"
UNION ALL
SELECT 1 as "a", 10 as "b"

2. Order and output as pd_a1

SELECT *
FROM "tbl_data"
ORDER BY "a"

Here is the result:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s6L4LDPijFJY6Hjrp9F6Nsh9JBeo6yH3

Thanks for your attention.

Yellow Belt

Re: Redshift order by

I have the same problem, but it seems to only be a problem in the preview as the end result comes out correct.

Yellow Belt

For me the preview and the output are the same.

Black Belt

This has to be a bug.  I am having the same issue that @BruceP  is having with the order by clause.

Have you submitted a ticket yet?  

______________________________________________________________________________________________
“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Visitor

I wrote a simple query to order by closedate and got some strange but consistent results. I tried to dig into the database details of how this is being sorted, like sortkey and distkey, but didn't really know what i was doing, and creating a temp table and applying the sortkey/distkey using custom sql didn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas? orderby date.PNG

Announcements
Looking for the latest Community solutions? Please visit our accepted solutions board here!