Replicate effects of a v-lookup

Highlighted
Green Belt

Replicate effects of a v-lookup

I'm trying to have an algorithm that searches one column to see if that value repeats in another column, and if it does return true, else, return false. I can't seem to figure out the case statements that will let me do this, so if list of colors column has red, and list of paints contains red, I want true, if red appears nowher in list of paints return false. Can someone give me a pointer on this?

Accepted Solutions
Orange Belt

Re: Replicate effects of a v-lookup

If you have already joined the datasets together on the fields you are searching, your beastmode can essentially be the "case when" statement from the MySQL example. 

CASE WHEN `paint` is null then 'FALSE' else 'TRUE' end

This will return "FALSE" if your join didn't find a match and will return "TRUE" if it did.

Let me know how this works.

_tyson

View solution in original post

All Replies
Orange Belt

You could try joining your dataset to a distinct list of the values in the column you are scanning for matches. Something like this in MySQL:

*Please note that the dataset placeholders in the code below can both be using the same dataset. In other words, you can join a dataset back to itself (or a subset of itself) which sounds like what you are trying to do.

select
a.`color`
,case when b.`paint` is null then 'FALSE' else 'TRUE' end as `your_indicator`
from
[your_table_with_colors] a
left join
(
select
distinct
`paint`
from
[your_table_with_paints] 
) b on a.`color` = b.`paint`

_tyson
Green Belt

Right, so the data is already joined, I have the distinct list attached to the set I want to look through already, data join isn't the problem, I need to figure out the beast mode syntax for this within the table, which I can't seem to crack. 

@tyson_c, can you provide more insight for bradsafeguard?

Orange Belt

If you have already joined the datasets together on the fields you are searching, your beastmode can essentially be the "case when" statement from the MySQL example. 

CASE WHEN `paint` is null then 'FALSE' else 'TRUE' end

This will return "FALSE" if your join didn't find a match and will return "TRUE" if it did.

Let me know how this works.

_tyson

View solution in original post

Announcements
Check out these great solution videos! The new iSolveditWithDomoboard is live, share yours and earn higher rankings in Dojo click here!