Summing with Beast Mode

Highlighted
White Belt

Summing with Beast Mode

Is there a way to sum an entire column in beast mode, creating a new column with the sumif of another column?

Accepted Solutions
Major Blue Belt

Re: Summing with Beast Mode

According to Tyler R., this is the solution:

“Yes, you can sum an entire column in Beast Mode, creating a new column with the SUMIF of another column. However, the specific use case you provided would first require some pre-aggregation of the data prior to the building of the card. This would require the use of DataFlows. If you need assistance with doing this in DataFlows, please let us know.”

View solution in original post

All Replies
Green Belt

Welcome to Dojo, selbadramany.  Since the sumifs of a column are usually what shows up in graphs and charts in Domo, I am a bit curious as to why you wish to sum them in beast mode.  Could you share what you are trying to accomplish?

"When I have money, I buy books. When I have no money, I buy food." - Erasmus of Rotterdam
Green Belt

Edit: Removed initial comment as I didn't read all of what Nalbright stated.

Green Belt

It happens Smiley Happy

"When I have money, I buy books. When I have no money, I buy food." - Erasmus of Rotterdam

@selbadramany, did any of the above replies help answer your question?

White Belt

I am trying to sumif a column in order to perform a beast mode calculation that would have a single data point from one column divided by the sum of all data points in another column. Thx

Hi all,

Is anybody able to assist @selbadramany with their question?

Major Brown Belt

There is no sumif function within beast mode. However, you can use a CASE statement within the sum function to get to same results. 

i.e. SUM(Case when `<fieldname>` = 'test' then 1 else 0 end )

or 

SUM(Case when `<fieldname>` = 'test' then `<ValueField>`  else 0 end )

Domo Arigato!

**Say 'Thanks' by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
**Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'
Green Belt

You can use AND in your CASE statement to effectively function like a SUMIF in excel. Something like this -- might take a bit of tweaking for your needs...I chose to divide "/" but you could just as easily use any other operator there.

(

SUM (CASE WHEN `field` LIKE '%THIS%' AND '%THAT%' THEN `fieldvalue`)

SUM (CASE WHEN `field2` LIKE '%this%' AND '%that%' THEN `fieldvalue2`)

)

White Belt

Thanks.  I understand the case and AND/OR functionality.  What I am trying to accompplish is this:

I have columns with date, unique customer identifiers and unique customer transaction identifier (so a customer may 1-2 transactions per year).  I want to calculatate for customers who had a transaction in 2011, how many transactions did they have in 2012, 2013, and 2014.  My challenge has been identifying the unique customers in 2011 AND THEN counting all transactions in 2012, then 2013, then 2014 for those specific customers.

Announcements
Check out these great solution videos! The new iSolveditWithDomoboard is live, share yours and earn higher rankings in Dojo click here!