Do word cloud cards have the capability to parse individual words from a phrase or sentence?

Highlighted
Black Belt

Here's what I just built that worked.  I ended up retypying it to make it work.  I got errors at first, too.  

CALL word_cloud('fake_phrases','`Statements`' , 'y','y' );

Looking at the error - Make sure that you have run and applied the previous transform.  I have missed that 8 out ot 10 times that I get an error!  lol

Also check your dataset for blank values.  I wouldn't think that would be a factor, but the error is weird.  

DataMaven
Breaking Down Silos - Building Bridges
Check out my video!
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
Green Belt

Wow what a journey that was to get it working... I ensured that blank and null values were stripped in my dataflow.  I then shortened my table names, in reality my table name was closer to 40 characters and my column name was 22 characters.  I shortened these down to about 10 characters each through renaming/data flows.  In the end I got it working and it had to be one of these things that enabled it to succeed.  Thanks for the vote of confidence that it could work @DataMaven , thanks to you, I didn't give up hope! Robot Very Happy

Highlighted
Black Belt

@JasonAltenburg  - I am so glad I give you hope!!!  lol

Did you happen to run into cases where the same word would appear twice because it was sometimes capitalized and sometimes not?

Might I lean on your SQL lazily and ask you if you know the right place to toss in a PROPER function?  I am just going to mess it up 6 times, and the query is already running an hour and a half and hasn't stopped for the real dataset I just applied it to!  ugh!

DataMaven
Check out my video!
**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
Highlighted
Green Belt

I did find this!

What I did was added the LOWER() function to the text field as my first step in the SQL dataflow.

UPDATE table_name SET sentences = LOWER(sentences)
Highlighted
Black Belt

@JasonAltenburg - What did you do that made your word cloud sql work?  I am replicating in another environment, and it keeps failing!!!

DataMaven
Check out my video!
Highlighted
Green Belt

I strongly believe it was shortening the name of the input table and the name of the column with sentences in it for step 2 of the SQL transforms down to <10 characters or so, all lowercase.  I also added a magic ETL step prior to this where I stripped out null and blank values from the sentences column.  (Filter for sentences_column IS NOT NULL and then does not equal Empty String)

I just made another one today and these steps seem to ensure it works.

Also be careful copy/pasting directly from the text in the help page... this code is shown and note the different single quote at the end next to the n character...

CALL word_cloud('survey_results', '`feedback`' , 'y','n’ );

Highlighted
White Belt

Hiya,

I tried to retype the statement, but still getting an error "The database reported a syntax error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'NULL' at line 1"

Highlighted
Black Belt

@JasonAltenburg how big is your dataset?  using SQL to create a word document matrix is a little square-peg-round-hole-ish.

I built a tutorial around a similar topic here. 

http://www.onyxreporting.com/blog/domo-parsing-json-in-a-mysql-56-dataflow

the SQL is actually creating tables, but may not run as efficiently as the stored procedure, so it depends on the size of your database.

I haven't reimplemented this solution in Magic 2.0, but I suspect with a reasonable size dataset you could pull it off more efficiently than the MySQL pipeline and have a more transparent ETL.  Also implementing stop words would be a matter of having a table with a list of stop words and then JOIN and filter out the matches.

if you have python / r scripting, it'll be SO MUCH FASTER (i think).  

Jae Wilson
Check out my Domo Training YouTube Channel

Announcements
Domopalooza 2021 Call for Presenters: We want to hear how Domo is revolutionizing the way you do business!

Click here to submit your story.