How do I display Time (mm-ss) as a value in bar chart

Highlighted
White Belt

How do I display Time (mm-ss) as a value in bar chart

Hi - I have tried to hunt down this answer but it is tough to phrase and I haven't found a solution.

My time is in seconds, and I used the SEC_TO_TIME function to get a nice output - the data is exactly how I want it. In a table it looks like this:

table.png

However, when I try to put this information into a Bar or Pie, it shows no data. Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Blue Belt

Re: How do I display Time (mm-ss) as a value in bar chart

@cjack-PML - Have you tried plotting the seconds value as a number (total seconds - 65, 58, 12, 38, 22) rather than the string formatted version (00:01:05, 00:00:58, 00:00:12, 00:00:38, 00:00:22) of your seconds? You could then utilize your formatted string as a tooltip and then change the hover text or display text to pull the value from the Tooltip 1 field.

**Was this post helpful? Click the heart icon**

**Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

View solution in original post

Tags (2)

All Replies
Highlighted
Black Belt

Re: How do I Represent Average Session Duration in a Bar Chart?

Does your organization use Google Analytics? If so, you can add the Google Analytics Quickstart App to your instance and it contains a pre-built card with beast modes that might be helpful for you. I have the quickstart app in our instance and there is a card called Average Visit Duration. They have a beast mode for average visit duration that converts the time on sites to a decimal in minutes. This seems like something you could use. Here is the beast mode:

(CASE  WHEN (SUM(`Visits`) = 0) THEN 0 ELSE ((SUM(`Time On Site`) / SUM(`Visits`)) / 60) END )

The card ends up looking like this:

averageDuration.PNG

Hope this helps.

**Make sure to like any users posts that helped you and accept the ones who solved your issue.**
Tags (2)
Highlighted
Blue Belt

@cjack-PML - Have you tried plotting the seconds value as a number (total seconds - 65, 58, 12, 38, 22) rather than the string formatted version (00:01:05, 00:00:58, 00:00:12, 00:00:38, 00:00:22) of your seconds? You could then utilize your formatted string as a tooltip and then change the hover text or display text to pull the value from the Tooltip 1 field.

**Was this post helpful? Click the heart icon**

**Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
Highlighted
White Belt

This is a really cool solution and it does work! Thanks!

One issue for me is that I have to export these as PowerPoint slides. But your solution still works for this: in my Data Label Settings I set Text to include the tooltip as well, so now the time displays above each of the bars

domo solved.png

Announcements
Want to join our weekly online meet up? Please visit this board here and let me know. Click here for more details!